How to select a rig?The question "What's the best rig?" is a very personal one. It depends on a lot of factors, like frequency coverage, ease of use, price, availability, etc. Because selecting a rig is so personal, this page isn't going to tell which one to buy. It does give you some handles to hopefully help you make the right choice.
First try to answer the following questions for your self:
- What is my budget?
- Do I want new or is second hand fine also?
- Where is my primary interest, HF, VHF, UHF or even higher?
- Do I like CW, phone or data (RTTY, PSK31)?
- Do I want one rig for all bands, or do I prefer different rigs?
- How much power do I intend to use when transmitting? Remember, QRP can be very much fun!
And finally, visit eBay or a similar local site and see what's available. It's probably good to idea to start looking at what is available near you. That gives you the opportunity to visit the seller and try out the rig.